Reading view

Mick Doohan hopes Liberty Media can return MotoGP to its ‘glory days’

Photo by Mark Sutton - Formula 1/Formula 1 via Getty Images
Photo by Mark Sutton - Formula 1/Formula 1 via Getty Images

Since taking over last year, Liberty Media haven’t been popular with everyone in the sport, but Mick Doohan thinks their arrival could be just what MotoGP needs.

The switch from Phillip Island to a new Adelaide street circuit hasn’t gone down well, and there’s already plenty of debate about how the track will handle the conditions and whether it will suit the championship.

Former racer Keith Huewen was blunt in his assessment, calling it a “tragic” decision. He’s far from alone, with many fans voicing their disappointment over the loss of one of the sport’s most iconic venues.

Even so, there’s a sense that MotoGP could benefit from the kind of commercial growth Formula 1 has seen under Liberty Media. In that respect, Doohan is supportive of where things might be heading.

Mick Doohan backs Liberty Media to help MotoGP reach its ‘glory days’

Photo by Jayce Illman/Getty Images
Photo by Jayce Illman/Getty Images

Mick Doohan thinks the influence of Liberty Media can be a good thing for MotoGP. The American media company, which also owns Formula 1, took control of the sport in April last year.

And even though F1 has faced its share of critics since that change, there’s no denying the numbers have improved across key metrics. It’s now one of the top three sports globally by revenue, alongside Formula E and NASCAR.

Appearing on the Racing Back podcast with MotoGP icons Nick Harris and Julian Ryder, the five-time world champion was asked for his thoughts on the future of the premier class with Liberty Media now at the wheel of the series.

“Look, who knows? They’ve done great things with Formula 1, that’s for sure,” Doohan said.

“So, if we can get a little bit of that into motorcycling, get a revival back to the old glory days, even though the sport’s doing quite well.

“But to try and get more eyes on bikes I think can’t be a bad thing, especially trying to recover some lost ground over decades from America and then likewise in Britain.”

MotoGP is hoping it will see similar success in time – but growing tensions between Dorna Sports chief Carmelo Ezpeleta and FIM president Jorge Viegas haven’t helped matters behind closed doors.

Ezpeleta recently told Gazzetta dello Sport: “The relationship has not changed because we never had any. I will continue to work as before.”

MotoGP expected to see more changes from Liberty Media following Australian GP move

Phillip Island’s removal from the premier class schedule has sparked plenty of frustration, but it may only be the beginning as MotoGP’s new owners look to reshape the series.

Several F1-inspired rule changes have already been discussed. KTM is one of the teams pushing for a cost cap to help bridge the gap between well-funded factories and those with fewer resources.

One idea that could be implemented soon is an F1-style team radio system.

Some riders have already had a chance to test it. Marc Marquez was one who noted that it might not be necessary for motorcycle racing.

Ducati teammate Francesco Bagnaia was among those who tried out the new radio system and pointed out that there will be an adjustment period as riders get used to it.

Read more:

Dodgers Reveal Spring Training Status of Japanese Stars Amid WBC

Nov 1, 2025; Toronto, Ontario, CAN; Los Angeles Dodgers two-way player Shohei Ohtani (17) celebrates with pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto (18) after defeating the Toronto Blue Jays during game seven of the 2025 MLB World Series at Rogers Centre. Mandatory Credit: John E. Sokolowski-Imagn Images

Los Angeles Dodgers stars Shohei Ohtani and Yoshinobu Yamamoto are set to make an early appearance in Spring Training amid their pending departure to the World Baseball Classic.

According to manager Dave Roberts, Yamamoto will start one of the team’s first spring ball games over the weekend, while Ohtani will be the designated hitter for the first game.

Yamamoto and Ohtani are two of the most important players on the Dodgers, and their health is the top priority for the team in their chase for a third straight title.

According to Ayako Oikawa of MLB.com, Team Japan is already in training camp, preparing for a camp that will last until Feb. 24 before they start playing exhibition games.

Nov 1, 2025; Toronto, Ontario, CAN; Los Angeles Dodgers two-way player Shohei Ohtani (17) celebrates with pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto (18) after defeating the Toronto Blue Jays during game seven of the 2025 MLB World Series at Rogers Centre. Mandatory Credit: John E. Sokolowski-Imagn Images
Nov 1, 2025; Toronto, Ontario, CAN; Los Angeles Dodgers two-way player Shohei Ohtani (17) celebrates with pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto (18) after defeating the Toronto Blue Jays during game seven of the 2025 MLB World Series at Rogers Centre. Mandatory Credit: John E. Sokolowski-Imagn Images

There is still no clear information on Yamamoto and Ohtani’s availability for Spring Training beyond the first few games.

“I don’t know when he’s going to leave us to join Team Japan, but there’s still gonna be ample time for him to get his progression here with us,” Roberts said.

“To then, I’m sure Mark will be talking to the pitching coach over there and kind of, you know, stick to our plan and we’ll be in lockstep.”

The Dodgers kick off their Cactus League schedule on Saturday against the Los Angeles Angels.

The post Dodgers Reveal Spring Training Status of Japanese Stars Amid WBC appeared first on LA Sports Report.

❌