Reading view

Acuña scores 3 times in return as Braves bounce back against Marlins

Ronald Acuña Jr. doubled, walked twice and scored three times in his return and the Atlanta Braves beat the Miami Marlins 8-4 on Tuesday.

It was Acuña’s first game since being sidelined May 2 because of a left hamstring strain. He batted leadoff as the designated hitter.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

Mauricio Dubón had three hits, including a go-ahead RBI single in the eighth inning. Matt Olson walked twice, had two hits and drove in three runs, while Michael Harris II homered and singled for the NL East-leading Braves.

Dubón reached on a two-out infield single to put Atlanta ahead 5-4 after Marlins reliever Calvin Faucher (4-3) walked Mike Yastrzemski, Ha-Seong Kim and Acuña to load the bases. Olson followed with a two-run single to make it 7-4.

Kim added an RBI single in the ninth.

Dylan Lee (2-0) pitched 1 1/3 innings of relief for the win.

Braves starter Martín Perez allowed four runs and five hits and struck out a career-high 10 in five innings.

Harris’ leadoff drive in the sixth tied the game at 4-4. He drove Marlins reliever Andrew Nardi’s first pitch over the wall in center for his ninth homer of the season.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

Miami erased a 2-0 first-inning deficit with three runs in the bottom half. Xavier Edwards hit a leadoff homer and Kyle Stowers added a two-run double.

Esteury Ruiz’s sacrifice fly in the third made it 4-2 before Olson’s RBI double in the fifth narrowed the gap.

Ozzie Albies’ sacrifice fly and Harris’ RBI single against Marlins starter Braxton Garrett gave Atlanta the early lead.

Garrett allowed two runs and three hits in three innings. It was Garrett’s second outing after missing last season because of elbow surgery.

Up next

LHP Chris Sale (6-3, 1.96 ERA) will start for the Braves on Wednesday against Marlins RHP Janson Junk (2-4, 4.14).

Braves place star catcher Drake Baldwin on 10-day IL with strained oblique

The Atlanta Braves placed star catcher Drake Baldwin on the 10-day injured list Tuesday because of a strained right oblique.

The reigning NL Rookie of the Year played in the series opener against the Miami Marlins on Monday but was replaced after his third plate appearance in the sixth inning of Atlanta’s 12-0 loss.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

“Everyone deals with this,” Braves manager Walt Weiss said Tuesday. “It’s part of a major league season. Virtually every team is going to deal with their fair share of injuries. It’s tough when it happens to your best players. You’ve got to find a way to get through it and guys have to step up.”

Weiss added that Baldwin initially felt a slight discomfort after his second at-bat but not painful enough to warrant his removal.

“He felt a little more after the last at-bat. I took him out of the game after that one,” Weiss said. “Obliques are obliques and they’re never fun to deal with.”

Baldwin has returned to Atlanta, where he will undergo an MRI and additional testing.

The 25-year-old Baldwin has followed a standout rookie season with impressive offensive numbers through his first 48 games. Baldwin began Tuesday with a team-leading .303 batting average and 57 hits, and is tied with Matt Olson with a team-high 38 RBIs.

Last season, Baldwin became the first catcher since Buster Posey in 2010 to win Rookie of the Year. Baldwin hit 19 homers and drove in 80 runs, receiving 21 of 30 first-place votes.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

Baldwin’s removal coincides with the return of five-time All Star Ronald Acuña Jr. Acuña, the NL 2023 MVP, had been sidelined since May 2 because of a left hamstring strain. He was activated Monday but did not play. On Tuesday, he doubled, had two walks and scored three times in Atlanta’s 8-4 victory. Acuña batted leadoff as designated hitter.

“I guess, if there is a silver lining, we replace Baldwin with a guy like Ronald Acuña,” Weiss said. “Not many teams get to do that. That’s the good news there. But truth be told — we’re losing arguably our best hitter. Drake has been unbelievable.”

The Braves selected the contract of catcher Chadwick Tromp from Triple-A Gwinnett. Tromp and Sandy León will split the starts at catcher during Baldwin’s absence.

Channel 9 Sports Director Alex Walker goes 1-on-1 with Florida head football coach Jon Sumrall

WFTV hosted Florida head football coach Jon Sumrall at the Channel 9 studios for a one-on-one conversation with Sports Director Alex Walker.

They spoke about his first six months on the job, expectations for year one and much more.

Sumrall makes his debut as Florida head coach on September 5 at The Swamp against Florida Atlantic. He will make his SEC head coaching debut on September 19 at Auburn.

Here is part two of Alex’s conversation with Sumrall.

Channel 9 Sports Director Alex Walker continues his 1-on-1 interview with the Gators head man.

Click here to download our free news, weather and smart TV apps. And click here to stream Channel 9 Eyewitness News live.

State athletic association stands by decision to disqualify runner

A high school athletic association is standing by its decision to disqualify a runner for his hand gesture as he crossed the finish line at the state championship.

ALSO READ: Mallard Creek High School files appeal after taunting call costs team championship

Officials said they warned Mallard Creek senior Nyan Brown before the race, prior to the disqualification that stripped the school of their fifth title. Brown’s coach said he was holding up the No. 5 as he crossed the finish line.

The North Carolina High School Athletic Association reiterated its stance in a new statement on Tuesday when it said it considers the decision officials made at the track meet final.

However, under state law, Mallard Creek can still appeal the call with an independent board appointed by the state superintendent - a process that’s underway now.

That process is outlined in the Board Policy Manual’s Policy ATHL-013.

Within the policy, it states the appeal board can expedite the process, if the ruling affects a coach or student-athlete’s ability to participate.

That’s not the case here.

The appeal comes after the state championship, where Mallard Creek was awarded second place.

Head coach Sam Willoughby expressed frustration Monday, recalling other celebrations he witnessed.

“Oh, there are several celebrations even worse than what Nyan did,” Willoughby said.

“I don’t want to throw anyone under the bus, but if you’re going to be consistent with the rules, please do that. Apply it to everyone, not just Mallard Creek.”

In a statement from Brad Alford, Director for the Office of Athletics with the NC Department of Instruction, he confirmed the board has the appeal and is currently reviewing it.

They’ll hand down their decision in the next 30 days.

North Carolina Department of Public Instructionstatement:

The Independent Interscholastic Athletics Appeals Board has received an appeal from Mallard Creek High School regarding a ruling at the State Track & Field Meet. State Board of Education Policy ATHL-013 outlines a detailed process for reviewing appeals of decisions by an athletics rule administrator, in this case the NCHSAA. The Appeals Board is currently reviewing the appeal and will issue a decision within 30 days. Since the appeal remains pending before the Appeals Board, we are unable to comment further on the case at this time.

NCHSAAstatement:

Over the past several days, the conclusion of the 8A Men’s Track and Field Championship has generated significant discussion across North Carolina and beyond. The NCHSAA recognizes and understands there is deep disappointment experienced by the student-athletes, coaches, and the school community involved.

As previously stated, officiating decisions made during competition are judgment calls administered by certified meet officials under NFHS playing rules and NCHSAA rules relative to unsporting behavior and actions, and are considered final decisions. The Association appreciates the efforts of the officials who are tasked with applying and enforcing those rules during our championship events.

Under state law, an aggrieved party may challenge the decision of an official that results in disqualification by appealing to an independent appeals board appointed by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction. This process is intended to provide a fair opportunity for a thorough review of the officiating decision. Following the established appeals process outlined in the NCHSAA Handbook and state procedures, Mallard Creek High School has exercised its right to such an appeal through the Independent Interscholastic Athletic Appeals Board administered by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.

The NCHSAA respects the right of member schools to utilize that process and appreciates the importance of ensuring all concerns are heard through the appropriate review structure. Because that process is underway, the NCHSAA will not provide further public comment regarding the specifics of the matter.

Nutting, Pirates Charities celebrate Somerset County baseball field

Pirates Charities, along with Pittsburgh Pirates owner and chairman Bob Nutting, joined the Field for Kids program in celebrating the renovation of the Casselman Valley Youth Baseball League field in Garrett Monday, May 18.

In May of 2025, storms ran through southern Somerset County, causing severe flooding and damage. Through a $20,000 grant issued by Nutting and Pirates Charities, along with hours of volunteer work, the Casselman Valley Youth Baseball League has a new field to compete on.

Good news for youth baseball Pittsburgh Pirates owner helps fund playground repair after flood in Somerset County

"This means the world to our small town of Garrett," Casselman Valley Treasurer Matt Donaldson said on a video posted to the Pittsburgh Pirates X account. "And just to go through what we did last year but then have the outreach and support with Mr. (Bob) Nutting and Pirates Charities, has been tremendous. They've been with us this whole process, and this is truly a story we couldn't have done without Pirates Charities."

The event included a ceremony on the field, ticket drawings for prizes, a Pierogi Race, food trucks and a first pitch thrown by the Pirate Parrot.

Pittsburgh Pirates owner and chairman Bob Nutting speaks during a celebration at the newly renovated Casselman Valley Youth Baseball League field, Monday, May 18, in Garrett.

State Rep. Carl Walker Metzgar (R-69) was on hand for the festivities. He's witnessed the integral role Pirates Charities and the organization played in the revitalization of the field.

"This area was devastated a year ago by severe flooding," Metzgar said. "Some people might think a baseball field in a small town doesn't mean very much, but for us, it was sort of a turning point that we could see the light at the end of the tunnel and people had a spot to rally around. It means a lot that Pirates Charities put the money up and Mr. Nutting put the money up to bring it back, because the community wouldn't be the same without it."

The Casselman Valley 12U teams played a game to wrap up the memorable evening.

Adam Ripple is the Daily American sports editor. He can be reached at 814-444-5926. Follow him on X @ARipple_DAsport. Follow Daily American Sports on Facebook and @dailyamericanmedia on Instagram.

This article originally appeared on The Daily American: Casselman Valley Youth Baseball League receives field renovation

Pelicans hire former Magic head man Mosley as new head coach

The New Orleans Pelicans have hired former Orlando Magic head coach Jamahl Mosley as their next head coach.

Mosley reportedly signed a five-year deal with the Pelicans.

The Magic fired Mosley on May 4 and New Orleans made the hire exactly two weeks later. Mosley led Orlando to three straight playoff appearances, but three straight first round exits and was fired one day after losing to Detroit in Game 7.

Mosley finished with a 189-221 record record in five seasons in Orlando.

The #Pelicans have named Jamahl Mosley as the team’s new head coach, Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars announced today 👏 pic.twitter.com/RRIhoR5lfd

— New Orleans Pelicans (@PelicansNBA) May 18, 2026

Click here to download our free news, weather and smart TV apps. And click here to stream Channel 9 Eyewitness News live.

❌