Normal view

Today — 21 February 2026Main stream

MLB News: Alonso Homers in 1st Orioles Game, Gerrit Cole is Back, Lopez Confirmed for TJ Surgery

The Los Angeles Dodgers begin Cactus League play on Saturday, but early spring training action on Friday showed a high-profile free agent already making an impact at his new home. There were also updates about two pitchers on either side of Tommy John surgery.

Let’s dive right in.

Alonso Homers in 1st Orioles Game

Pete Alonso seems to be settling in nicely in Baltimore after leaving the New York Mets in free agency.

Alonso, who signed a five year, $155 million contract with the Orioles late last year, blasted a two-run home run in the team’s spring training matchup with the Yankees.

DENVER, CO – JULY 12: Pete Alonso #20 of the New York Mets bats in the final round during the 2021 T-Mobile Home Run Derby at Coors Field on Monday, July 12, 2021 in Denver, Colorado. (Photo by Mary DeCicco/MLB Photos via Getty Images)

Orioles manager Craig Albernaz said Alonso asked for the third at-bat that resulted in the bomb, as reported by the Associated Press.

“He wanted it, and he made the most of it,” Albernaz said. “It speaks a lot. Pete just wants to play.”

Gerrit Cole Puts Up Strong Numbers in Recovery from Tommy John Surgery

As reported by Chris Kirschner of The Athletic, Gerrit Cole wowed his teammates in his first live batting practice since Tommy John surgery.

Cole hit 97 mph with some pitches and managed to strike out one of the three batters he faced.

Yankees superstar Aaron Judge, who grounded out off a Cole pitch during the brief session, said his teammate again looked like the great pitcher who won the 2003 American League Cy Young Award.

“Gerrit looked great,” Judge said. “Excited to see him back on the mound. That was the most important thing. The stuff is still electric.

Full AB: Trent Grisham strikes out on a 95 mph fastball from Gerrit Cole pic.twitter.com/nh5TFcJYZQ

— Chris Kirschner (@ChrisKirschner) February 20, 2026

Twins’ Lopez Confirmed for TJ Surgery

On the other end of the Tommy John spectrum, Pablo Lopez will indeed have to undergo the procedure after tearing his ulnar collateral ligament.

The tear was reported earlier this week, though the details of the procedure have now been confirmed.

“The team said Friday that López’s surgery will be performed next week in Texas by Rangers team physician Dr. Keith Meister,” the Associated Press reports. “López turns 30 early next month.”

Lopez missed significant time last season with injuries, but he still posted a 2.74 ERA in 14 starts.

He will also miss pitching for Team Venezuela in the upcoming World Baseball Classic.

Yesterday — 20 February 2026Main stream

MLB News: Brewers Extend Manager, Pitch-Rigging Trial Pushed to Fall, Yankee Wants to Be Next Ohtani

Happy Thursday, Dodgers fans. Cactus League play is just around the corner for the Boys in Blue.

As we await the joy of getting to see World Series MVP Yoshinobu Yamamoto return to the mound on Saturday, here are some of the top headlines from around Major League Baseball.

Brewers Extend Manager for Three More Years

The reigning back-to-back National League manager of the year was rewarded by the team on Thursday.

The Milwaukee Brewers gave Pat Murphy a three-year extension, ESPN reports.

Oct 16, 2025; Los Angeles, California, USA; Milwaukee Brewers right fielder Sal Frelick (10), manager Pat Murphy (49), center fielder Jackson Chourio (11), second baseman Brice Turang (2) and designated hitter Christian Yelich (22) are introduced for game three of the NLCS during the 2025 MLB playoffs against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images

In addition to the three years — 2026 through 2028 — the deal also includes a club option for 2029, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports.

Pitch-Rigging Trial Could Move to October

The trial of Cleveland Guardians pitchers Emmanuel Clase and Luis Ortiz, who are accused of tipping pitches to bettors in exchange for kickbacks, is likely to move to the fall, Zack Meisel of The Athletic reports.

Both have pleaded not guilty and are free on bail, though they are on the MLB’s restricted list.

They were scheduled to have their trial begin in May, though Judge Kiyo A. Matsumoto “suggested she’ll ultimately shift the date to the fall,” Meisel wrote.

Those involved were ordered to submit their preferred new trial date by Monday.

If October is indeed the new trial date, it will be interesting to see if the legal proceedings overlap with the World Series.

Yankee Says He’ll Do Something Only Ever Done by Ohtani

Infielder Jazz Chisholm Jr. has made public his intentions to join Dodgers star Shohei Ohtani in an exclusive club that was empty until last season and now only includes the Japanese two-way player.

Chisholm told Chris Kirschner of The Athletic that he wants to hit 50 home runs and steal 50 bases in a season, which was done for the first time in history by Ohtani just last year.

“Reminded that 50-50 has been accomplished just once in MLB history, he shrugged,” Kirschner wrote. “’You’re looking at the second one,’ Chisholm said.”

The quest may seem nearly impossible, but Yankees teammate Aaron Judge expressed confidence to Kirschner.

“He really can accomplish anything,” Judge said.

❌
❌